Monday 31 October 2011

PPD Task 2 - Group Tutorial Prep

For PPD Task 2, I am to answer the following questions ahead of the tutorials after reading week.

What is industrial experience?
  • a visit to a professional design studio 
  • a chance to get a better understanding of what it would actually be like to work in a studio
  • a review of your portfolio from a professional who is out there, and knows what's going on
  • an opportunity to speak to people and get your name out there
  • something to help make decisions with what we actually want to do

What can you learn from industrial experience?
  • how a professional environment operates
  • what it is actually like to work in the 'real world' as opposed to working on studio briefs set by the tutors
  • if the area of design I think I want to go into once I leave uni is actually the right area for me
  • how I would fit into an existing design studio that I really like, what sort of role I would be best suited for
  • whether I can actually do this or not
  • get a feel for the actual pace that design studios work
  • who I am as a designer, from things such as portfolio reviews, and get feedback from people who are out there doing it, and know sort of the areas I need to concentrate more on/improve on


What form/format could industrial experience take?
  • work placements
  • studio visits
  • portfolio review
  • day
  • week
  • month
  • blogs/emails
  • telephone 


What areas of industry are you interested in?

  • editorial - such as magazines and publications


 Creative Review



 (link)



 (link)

  • branding - creating identities and applying it across all sorts of medias





  • printed design - stuff that would be printed and you can hold physically as opposed to what you do to be seen on a screen
 (link)


 (link)


 (link)


What are your concerns about industrial experience?
  • what if the place I contact doesn't like my work?
  • what do I do if I contact X amount of studios and none get back to me?
  • what sort of 'tone' is right? formal/informal/what?
  • what if I get a placement/what ever somewhere far away like london and I'd have to move/stay for a while? how could I afford it? where would I even start looking to make it possible?
  • ending up going to places I end up not liking and it changed me thinking what I want to do?
  • how do I know if the place I'm contacting will actually be wanting to hear from me?
  • what should I actually expect to gain from this? how high/low should I set my expectations?
  • what if I end up at a placement in somewhere like London, and it turns out that all I do for the week or what ever long is make tea? 

No comments:

Post a Comment